• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

Just got back from another KS hunt in extreme NW KS near St Francis.  We are so lucky to be able to hunt on a property that is usually reserved for paying customers.  I did have an opportunity at a bruiser buck but either did not hit him or did not find him in standing corn.  It was a near perfect shot with me standing behind a huge hay round bale.  I did missjudge the yardage but still should have connected.  We are going to contact the land owner and have him look for a big rack when he cuts the corn.  Of course we did not see him or his buddys again.  I did connect with a big doe later in the week and after a difficult track and trail recovered this one.  This is the second year to hunt the locale and have leads on some more properties to hunt.  It does very good to be friends with the local state game protector.  I am going to get my bruiser buck yet if my health and welfare hold out a couple of more years.

I was blessed to be able to visit with my brother Spirithawk on the trip out from PA.  He is doing well and it sure did my old heart well to see him and his wife once again.  He is trying to get healthy enough to have the very serious heart valve replacement surgery.  It has been a long road to get where he is now but the spark is in his eye and he has a couple of bucks lined up for his season.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 29 September 2013 - 01:00 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

Sorry for the bad luck.  Believe me I understand.  Agricultural fields can be very challenging to track in.

I dropped one in his tracks in a soybean field one year.  There was no blood trail to lead me to him.  Thigh high soybeans just swallowed him up.  I knew the general area he was standing in.  Still took a couple hours of walking the rows back and forth.  I actually didn't find him the first pass.  I was on the second pass when I found him.  If I hadn't been convinced I didn't miss I would have given up after the first pass.

Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Those deer ran into one of those huge crop circles but we never found any evidence of a hit. I cannot believe I missed as I should have hit only a bit low at that yardage. I could not have had a better more solid hold even from a shooting bench and no I did not hit the bale in front of the rifle as I looked. I was also pretty calm and squeezed the shot. The only thing that was bothering me was it was getting close to quitting time and they were taking their good old time. Then again that is why it is called hunting and not shooting.

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

I airballed on one this morning!  Didn't get the pin centered in the peep and over his back the arrow went!  Rookie mistake.  Checked out the bow.  Three shots at 30yds, three bullseyes.  I caught myself almost doing it again during the checkout session.  That's how I know what I did.

Scopes are goofy things sometimes things go wrong with them.  Once I missed a deer because I was showing a guy the target turrets on my scope.  He turned the elevation knob a complete turn up and didn't tell me!  Imagine my surprise when I missed the deer and went to the target range the next day!

Posted Image

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

Well I cannot blame my rifle, load, or scope. I took a shot in a sand bank later that day and it was exacly where it was when I sighted in. That is why the more I think about it the more I feel that I did hit that special buck. The bullets I am using have done extremely well so far. Two that I recovered from deer had both expanded from 45 cal to 64 cal and only lost 5 grains of weight. Those were only about 40 yd shots but with the dead hold I had I should have hit that buck.

#6 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

Paul, I remember a few years back I stuck a monster. I knew the hit was a little farther back then I wanted but still a good hit. I waited until the next day to track and trail was great. Huge amounts of blood where he laid down. Easy tracking but no buck. I had friends and even land owners looking for this buck because of how unique he was. Looked for over a year and had farmers all around looking during harvest incase he laid up in a field somewhere. I have his pic on a trail cam in velvet so it is somewhat of a trophy. I am still grieving that lose.

Steve

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

This makes two years in a row in Kansas that I missed a real trophy buck. Not sure if we can make it for a third try. Trophy bucks are not behind every tree but in that area there are some really worthwhile bucks and before I get too old I'd really like to bag one.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

Was great seeing you and Judy Diganali.  :)

Edited by Spirithawk, 10 October 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

Same here Norm. I should have had your spirit with me when I got that shot but do not recall of a hawk at the time. I do recall hearing one the same morning I got the big doe though. How do you do that. Rest well and get that heart fixed up. I have a plan or two that includes you and Sammee and a trip/hunt here in my little corner of the world. Get well brother and it will happen.

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

It's a Tsalagi thing Diganali! ;) Man I'd love to come out your way. Meeting Eric and s few others maybe would be icing on the cake too. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users