• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

Last evening I ventured out across the valley to a farm I have permission to hunt.  I set up just inside the woods near a scrape and rubs.  The acorn crop was a failure this year but the Hickorys and Walnut trees are producing so the squirrel activity is high as well as the sounds they make in the leaves.  I figured I was at one with nature when a squirrel came within a foot of my back.  Just before dark after many alerts of something scurrying nearby I heard the unmistakable sound of hooves and a deer ran by at less than 40 yds but due to the dense understory when it stopped I could not get a shot.  In only a few more minutes it was too dark to see through my red dot sight.  I got up and with a rather numb body tried to sneak about 60 yds to the field edge.  I did see one deer in the field but by that time it was past shooting hours and it was about 50 yds away.  It drifted back into the woods so I continued on.  As I worked my way past a small piece of woods jutting into the field I could see another deer but by this time it was just too dark to see it clearly even with a small pair of binos.  I finally saw it was a buck making a scrape.  He was nothing to write home about but was about an average 6 point with a kinds thin mass.  He was really busy at his duty and had not seen me standing in ankle high stubble.  Since he was facing mostly away from me I decided to see how close I could get.  Imagine my surprise when I, fully exposed, was able to sneak to within 40 yards of him before he snorted and jumped into the woods.  Had it been still shooting hours I may have been tempted but then again if it were light enough to shoot he would have seen me sooner.  Oh well it was a good evening even though I did not get a shot. 

Good luck to all of you that are still out there communing with ma nature.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

Best of luck to you too Diganali! :) I'm going bow hunting in the morning. Got my muzzleloader sighted in and ready too. :) 

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

We have a week long muzzleloader doe season that starts Saturday and I too am ready for that.  In fact I could use my modern rifle the last three days of the week.  PA allows youth and geezers to do that.  It depends on how desparate I get whether I will do that or not. 

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

Get out the GEEZER GUN, Paul! :lol:  o:)  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users