• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

I have been hunting pretty hard this turkey season as well as Eric has too.  We have seen birds and even got a shot or so.  Finally Sat a week ago Eric downed a big longbeard.  His was 19 lbs, 7/8 in spurs and about a 9 1/2 inch beard.  I missed on two opportunities.  This morning my wife needed my truck so I stayed at home all morning.  After lunch I decided to walk out behind my house through cut corn and soy bean fields.  Eric saw a flock out there yesterday.  I went into the woods but absolutely no turkey sign and very little deer sign.  After a little while I jumped a deer then another then two more.  As I stood there watching those two deer a movement up the ridge caught my eye.  I had to stare for a moment till I finally saw turkeys.  They were a long ways up the woods but I shot to break them up anyways.  Man they scattered to all points of the compass including one coming right at me.  It landed about 60 yds away and my 222 spoke with authority and down she went.  I did a little jig and called Eric.  As we spoke the young birds started calling to get back together the woods filled with birds calling.  It was the best music I have heard in a while.  Then came the grim realization that I had to tote my bird a long ways back to the house.  Fortunately it was a full grown hen but I had more than a mile to walk and by the time I got to my back porch that 12-14 pound bird felt like a ton.  I made it though one step at a time.  My grin returned once I hit the porch and shed my load.  That makes turkey 23 or so for me but it was a special one at that. I am still grinning.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

Way to go, Paul! Gonna be a long cold winter. You might need it. :hunter:

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

Boy you said that right Fred.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users