#1 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Elk 2013

I couldn't sleep for the life of me. Went to bed November 5th at 9:30. Watched the clock change to 3:10 am. Finally dozed off and next thing the alarm was making a horrible racket at 5 am. Got up, made a thermos of tea, packed a lunch, and headed over to Colin's to pick up him and Lexi, his daughter. He was still sleeping! Didn't take him long to get ready.Drove down to my favorite area, and seen deer everywhere. It was still dark, so we continued further into the boonies. Parked,watched heard shooting and got out and watched some more. Temperature was 8 F. We were watching the wrong way. Lexi pipes up here they come, and we turned around in time to see a great buck, a lesser buck and a pile of does go over the edge of the creek bottom and disappear. I then went a couple miles east, and found a big bodied whitetail standing in the stubble at 380 yards. He had a fair 4x4 on his head, and I decided that he would look good in my freezer. Got comfortable, squeezed off the shot, and he hit the ground. Lexi was totally pumped! She has never been hunting before. She took a bunch of pictures, grabbed the esophagus, pulling as I released the diaphram. After I was finished field dressing, she was complaining that her hands were cold. Joking, I said grab the stomach, it's warm. She reached down, grabbed it, and said man, is that ever warm! And squishy! we had a great laugh. After loaded, I decided to go after mule deer. Drove a few miles and headed in. There was a good buck with some does at 420 yards, and impossible to get closer. She was looking directly at me. Layed down in the snow,cranked up the scope and aimed at the base of her neck where it joins the body. The Weatherby barked, and she made it about 20 yards and piled. Recovered the bullet under the skin on the left hip. Colin headed over to where she lay, and Lexi and I headed around to the other side of the draw with the 4x4. Took about 1/2 hour to get there. Wasn't about to drag her to where we were sitting.Was bad enough dragging her out the other side. Lexi was wanting to skin and gut this one. I let he hack  the hide from the neck back, but did the rest. She had ahold of the intestines while I was freeing everything, and hauled the guts out of it. I was impressed! She then removed the heart and liver! She is 14, and definately wants to take the hunters safety course and get her hunting licence. We left that area and went back to where I got the whitetail buck, and I shot a whitetail doe an 182 yards. This one was broadside, and I didn't even see her fall. While I was getting out the knife and saw, Colin and Lexi went and grabbed her and started hauling her towards the truck. Same deal on the cleaning, she was in there like a dirty shirt.

November 26, ELK! Colin and I left at 5:30. We were in my area at 7:30. Sat around for an hour before we actually thought about looking for anything. 11:15 a huge herd made its way across the stubble. Lasered 380 yards, got comfortable and squeezed one off. BANG! FLOP! I made a sling, and dragged her about 1 1/2 miles before I could get her on a rise and get her loaded. We still had a heck of a time getting her in the truck.I got her skinned and boned out, and was up until 5 am. before I packed it in and went to bed. Got up around noon, and started again. It's all in the freezers now, but I am finding that it is getting harder to  do every year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! 

Fred

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

That sure is the way to quick fill the freezer.  What did you drag that elk with. 

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:37 AM

Congrats Fred, great hunts.

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

Dragged her with the 4x4, Paul.

#5 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

Fred,nice elk....Congrads on the hunt....

Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

Congrats my friend! Ya did good! Now enjoy that fine eating. :)

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

Lets all go to Freds house for steaks and backstraps.  Norm I'll stop and pick you up.  If Cayugad will come we can stop by and get him too.  Now that would be a real get together wouldn't it.  We would need a big shovel to remove all the horse pucky though.

#8 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

Way to go Fred!!!!

AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#9 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

:clap:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#10 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

Great elk Fred. COngrats. Like the rifle too. I got a spare razor if you need one. :)   Cant wait to retire and come up and hunt with you. I hope you don't mind but I ripped the pic for my facebook page.

Edited by silvertip-co, 28 December 2013 - 10:03 PM.

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#11 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

That truly is a blessed season Fred. I am with Paul. Head over to your place and help empty the freezer with some good eating and fellowship.

Steve

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

Charlie looks like he would need a set of hedge trimmers first before he needs the razor.  Lol.  Bet his chin keeps warm though in all that cold weather.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users