• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

As some may recall I got a huge doe in Kansas this fall.  I then got one in PA during our early muzzleloader season.  Well today I filled my remaining doe tag here in PA using a flintlock.  My son Eric and I were headed to a spot we call the honeyhole this afternoon.  We got about halfway there when I spotted several deer running at top speed about 100 yds away.  They were running down the ridge out in front of us.  I was watching for more when Eric said "Dad here they come right at us".  I looked straight up and saw a whole herd of deer coming head on.  They stopped about 20 yds away and I pulled the trigger on a big doe.  Oh no Misfire.  I pulled the hammer back and snapped the frizzen shut and the deer ran about 20 yds and stopped.  This time the rifle went bang and I hit one.  As I struggled to get the rifle reloaded my deer was struggling up the ridge.  The rifle finally reloaded we set off after my prize.  We tracked/blood trailed the deer all the way to the top of the ridge.  It had fallen several times but once on top we debated on trailing much further or wait till morning.  I wanted to see down over the side of the ridge so we went that far and spotted it down below laying there.  As we  approached it, it struggled to its feet and I shot again and missed.  Now I am down to my last shot and hit the deer again but it did not expire.  I ran back to the truck which by this time was only a few hundred yards away.  I quickly reloaded and put another load in my quick load and hurried back to the deer but no further shot was required.  It is a small doe but my first with this particular rifle so as of now I am done even though I have a buck tag.  Done that is unless Phil convinces me he cannot do without me on a hunt. 

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

...Done that is unless Phil convinces me he cannot do without me on a hunt. 

:yes:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

Good going Paul! Methinks you need to go out and get that buck too. Sitting on a ridge is better than sitting in your recliner eating chips and watching tv! :hunter:

#4 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

Congrads!!

Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

Congrats Diganali!

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

Thanks all.  Well Phil convinced me he dould not do without me at camp on Sat.  4 of us did see a bunch of deer but no antlers were observed.  But then again getting to see only the south end of a northbound deer did nothing to determine if it had antlers or not.  It was a fun day albeit a cold one.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 06 January 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

As I sit here at age 72 (almost) I realize that I am still able to live the dream.  Yea I do it a little slower than I used to but then again maybe I was going too fast back then.  It seems I see more now than I used to even with a bit of hearing loss.  Has anyone else experienced  this as they mature.

#8 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

Congrats on a great year. Are you having any mounted?

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

No Steve they were all does.  I have not shot a buck for a few years although I have shot at two monster bucks and would have mounted them but they kept going.  Yea I missed two trophies out there.  Oh well there is next year isn't there. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users