9 replies to this topic

#1 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

I have an oppertunity to hunt a private ranch neer Grand Junc. Colorado area 41. My wife cleans for a very wealthy couple whom happen to own Saddle Mtn. Ranch. He had me call his ranch manager and for a bow hunt the cost would be 2500 plus my 550 out of state tag. This is for a week guided 1 on 1. Included housing and dinners. They would take care of also the bull if I happen to harvest one. They only allow 4 archery hunters at a time during the season. Last year during rifle hunt the owner had 6 others with him and they all harvested 300 plus bulls. The largest was a 380 class taken by a 15 year old kid. Wow! Howard Hawks is the owner of this ranch and he harvested a 250 class mullie last year on top of his 300 plus bull plus a 530 lb. black bear with a head measurment over 21 iinches. So my question is should I jump on this oppertunity? The success rate for the archery hunters has been around 28% since they have been doing archery. I thiught it sounded like a great oppertunity so just thought I would see what you guys thought.

Steve 

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

You would have to figure in the cost of travel and possibly any equipment you would need and do not have.  Of course you would have to be prepared to spend that money and not be successful.  I have no knowledge of what a guided elk hunt costs these days but a little digging should give that figure.  How soon do you have to commit.  Do you have to enter a draw to get your tags.  If I recall archery is over the counter tags.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

If it were me I'd jump at that, if it didn't cause any budget or home issues. Most 1 on 1 guided hunts, even on public land start at $3500 and go up from there plus tags. A hunt like this is probably a $4500 and up type of hunt. Sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

#4 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for the feed back. The tag would be over the counter and have to go thru the princess of the house for finances. I wear the pants in my home as long as she isn't home. Looks like I would have to prepare to spend around 3800 to 4000 for trip then if I harvest probebly another few thousand for taxi and processing. You are right Paul. I understand the probability of not being successful but success is not always harvesting if you have been a seasoned bow hunter. The guide guarantees seeing good animals but getting a shot is another matter. Last year he told me one of his clients had a 7 x 6 @ 10 yards but shot wasn't there. Now in my book that hunt was a success.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:21 AM

I wish that Bruce McCowen was still an active member.  He is a Colorado resident and a bow hunter and would know the answers to many of the questions you have and possibly have some great insight.  Another person that used to be active on here is Will Nelson aka Iamyourhuckleberry.  He also is from Colorado and a bow hunter extreme.

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

Sounds like a good deal.  A private ranch elk hunt for 5 days typically runs about 5-6K just for the hunt not including travel and tag.

Success rates can be misleading.  Some outfitters count an opportunity or even a miss as successful.  Doesn't sound like this place does that, with a 28% success rate on bowhunters.  I'd ask.  A guy who can really shoot always has a better chance at success.  Quite often guys that go on these hunts just aren't ready physically or mentally.

You may still be expected to tip some folks, so don't forget to factor that into costs.

Posted Image

#7 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

Thanks Leo.

#8 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

Paul, I haven't heard from the both of them for a while. You are right though they both would be helpful. I think I made up my mind though. If I can talk my sweety into it I will be headed west this Sept. for my dream hunt.

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Steve I know Bruce is on facebook almost every day.  Maybe you can get in touch through that media.

#10 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

I don't bowhunt but know about Colorado costs. That's a pretty fair price deal, but add another 2500 for travel, meals, and incidentals. Youd be then getting a hunt for 5550 which aint bad for a ranch. Most of them start at that price and go up. Good luck on a bull. I'll field any questions I can for you.

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users