• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

Erics daughter Elizabeth has shown an interest in hunting.  She is kind of short statured and has some difficulty with a full size stock.  I have a Mossberg 185D in 20 ga 2 3/4 which was my first gun I bought.  I have not used it for many years and I just looked it up in my most recent gun values book and the top price is less than  $100.  It is a bolt action three shot so even though I hate to do it I am planning on chopping the stock off to fit both Elizabeth and her mom.  It may also work for Eric's son Tyler who is a little young yet but very interested.  I do not plan on cutting the stock till we pattern it with the chokes that came with it.  Then we will evaluate what to do.  Does anyone have any other suggestions.  The problem with this gun is the chokes have internal threads and the barrel external threads so I know of no current chokes that would work.  Our plan is a turkey gun for them but could be used for small game too.

We are also looking into either getting another stock for a Winchester model 70 featherweight that would fit them better or another gun.  Looked briefly for another stock but did not find very much.  I hate to just cut the stock on the gun presently but that is an option.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

I would be very reluctant to cut a stock on any gun that I could not get a replacement stock for.  Especially when the shooter is going to grow some.

You can't cut them longer.

Check out http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

They might not have exactly the stock you need but you might decide on building something else they can grow into or a least save the original stock.

Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

I agree with you Leo.  I hate to alter rifle or shotgun.  I did find a youth model stock online that I think will fit the Winchester.  The old mossberg shotgun is another story.  I did check out the Mossberg 500 bantum and just may go that route rather than alter my gun.  I guess I am becoming sentimental in my old age.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users