6 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

My 6 yr old daughter is a lefty. I'm ambidexterous but shoot right handed. Im going nuts trying to find left handed items. Not fair. She likes the pink cricket rifle 22 cal. sorry not available for lefties. only chipmunk rifle in walnut stock is leftie friendly. Will starting her out on a right handed rifle hold her back at all?  The cricket is a single shot so she'd have to get up to reload, not like if it had a hidden box mag.

#2 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

According to the faq's on the crickett site, only chipmunk rifle in walnut is available for lefties. So I go to their chipmunk website. What does it say?? Q. DO WE HAVE LEFT-HANDED CHIPMUNK RIFLES?
A. NOT AT THE TIME, BUT WE SOON WILL. 

WTH? All I want is a girly entry level 22 or 17 cal. rifle for my little girl. Is that to much to ask for?  Sorry for venting.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

I shoot right-handed. So, I can't really relate to needing to find left-handed firearms and accessories. However, I certainly sympathize with your frustrations, Scott. (Vent away.)

I know several people who shoot against their dominant eye or shoot right-handed firearms left-handed. (Depending upon action, of course. You may not want to shoot a right-handed semi-auto firearm left-handed, for example.) But, every one of them is an adult that already has experience in shooting both the "right way" and "wrong way". So, while I couldn't say for sure about this "stunting" a youth just starting out, I do know for years and years that this (shooting "wrong") was about the only choice a southpaw had and most seem to have turned out okay.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:28 PM

Scott I am right handed but left eye dominent.  I can now shoot from either shoulder but when I was young it felt so awkward to shoot right handed because try as I might I could not fully close my left eye to shoot right handed.  I learned to shoot right handed rifles from the left side.  Back in the early 50s I don't even know if there was a left handed option available to me and besides Neither me or dad could have afforded one anyhow.  I still shoot left handed but all my arsonal in modern rifles except one are right handed bolt action.  The one that is lefty is an old benchrest gun that weights in over 22 lbs.  If you cannot find a left handed rifle to start your daughter out on she will not be adversely affected by shooting a right handed one.  Of course there are a couple of possibilities that can be operated either handed.  A lever action is one possibility that can be operated either handed.  Another is a slide action especially if the rifle has a tang safety.  I have several rifles that have the cheek piece on the wrong side and one that is a right handed bolt gun but in a left handed stock.  Man you ought to see someone try to shoot it right handed.  I then tell them that is what I have put up with all my shooting life.  I do have a model 1300 shotgun that has the safety switched to left hand operation as it is on the forward part of the trigger guard.  For someone just getting started you will have to operate the rifle anyways so I do not see any problems there.  I always figured that I only had one shot when hunting so I always made really sure of that first shot.  That way you can take all day to operate whatever type of action you have. I think stevens made a striker operated single shot that you had to manually c0ck the striker by pulling it back.  More important is the fit of the rifle to the shooter.  If the stock is too long it is very hard for a beginner to shoot well.  Now flintlocks are a different story entirely and I have 5 or 6 of them and 4 or 5 are left handed. 

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

I shoot with the correct hand. But my rifles are mostly for right handed

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#6 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

Thanks a lot

#7 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

Im left handed, my son is left handed, but right eye dominant. Shooting a single shot .22  will not warp your daughter. Get her the nice pink one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users