• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

Last week I had decided to shoot my flintlock today.  Well two 5 inch or so snows have my little range so covered up I had to postpone the effort.  Since I decided last week to shoot today the temps have been brutal.  Night before last the temp was -6 F and late last week we got about 6 inches of snow and rain and sleet on top making a crust and winter storm Pax has lastnight and throughout today dropped another 4 - 6 inches and it is still snowing.  Oh well there will be another day more compatible with shooting in the next couple of weeks.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Yeah, pretty brutal out there. Maybe making outdoor plans a week into the future was a little bit much. Even trained meteorologists can't do that very well. :D

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

Right now I feel like putting a carbon footprint on somebodies rear end!

Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

The main reason I wanted to get out and sight in the flintlock was  I was interested in sighting in in temps close to hunting temps for this smoke pole and then shoot during warmer weather to see if there is a difference and if so how much.  Well PAX finally quit dumping on us this morning.  Had to plow the drive again.  Next year the 45" snow blower is going to be on this tractor I don't get it done as fast but no snow banks along the drive that I cannot push any further.  Besides I could blow a path to the range

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

Well I sure know that feeling. I have a new rifle and new eyes, but the snow is crotch deep on the range. And my shooting bench is buried against the house, under a snow bank. I have been thinking of tying a milk jug to a rock, throw it as far out on the range as I can, and shoot at it. The snow would mark my misses and even though free hand, I would get to shoot that new rifle.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Patience Y'all! Very soon, the snow will be gone, the bugs and snakes will be out to gnaw on us, and we will be squawking that it is too hot. Besides that, I'll have to move out of my igloo, and into air conditioned summer quarters.   :boone:

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

Now now Fred we all know that where you live there is winter and then a couple of months of bad sledding.  The northeast has been slammed with clipper after clipper.  Each in itself not all that bad but with cold temps keeping it here it does get a bit annoying.  My snowblower is now on the tractor and I worked all morning on rain gutters and all afternoon on snow removal.  Still do not have that path to the range blown out yet but today and the next couple of days are supposed to be above freezing.  I guess the snow on the roof and ice in the gutters has precidence.  Maybe I could shoot from the roof, hmmm.

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

Well I went out with a roof rake and did the back roof.  Its 44 degrees here.  Can you believe it!  But they said 7-14 inches of snow and up to 40 mph wind gusts tomorrow.  And then the temperature is dropping again to that below zero stuff again.  But it was nice to be working outside without a jacket today.  I have been tempted to climb up on the roofs again. But made a promise to family members that I wouldn't do that anymore.  The neighbor up the road, fell off his roof, onto his metal shovel, split his head open and died out there, in the snow.  So my family got all worried about the same thing happening to me.  Since I live alone.  I told them I use a plastic shovel.  But could not convince them. I might just do it anyway depending on how much snow we get.  Them roofs can only hold so much snow you know.

My 60 year old snow blower died this year.  The gear box blew out and it will not go into a gear. It sounds like the gears lost their teeth.  I talked to a friend of mine and he said in the summer he'd take a look at it, but admitted it might be hard to find parts and suggested I get a new one.  That was a good snow blower..  they just don't make things that last anymore like the old ones.

I am freezing string in small yogurt plastic containers right now.  Once they are frozen you blow up a balloon and tie it to the string.  Then throw the ice out in the yard and that sinks, but the balloon stays on the top of the snow.  It will give me something to shoot at without throwing on snow shoes and walking out in the field.  Now they sit out on the picnic table and its too warm out for them to freeze.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

From  the weather reports they should freeze up just fine in a day or two.  I also spent all day on the ladder using a shovel and roof rake to take anywhere from 12 to 18 inches of snow off my house roof. I also had to deal with my gutters full of ice and an ice dam forming.   A friends dad just yesterday fell off his roof and is in the hospital as I type.  He fell on his head and they are not sure if anything more that broken ribs will be found.  That ice cup and string sounds like a good idea.  Come spring just pick up the string or mow it. 

#10 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:03 AM

I had all black steel roofs installed on the house last year.  And last night, laying there in bed, I thought the house exploded.  I kid you not. The entire back side of the roof let go, and the whole avalanche thing came sliding off the roof at the same time.  There had to be about three feet of snow up there.  I thought the house was coming down.  It sounded like thunder in the house.

After I went and changed my shorts, I went and looked around outside.  The snow is now as deep as the windows sills, and well over half way up the patio doors in the wood stove room.  I guess I can't complain.  After all that was why I put the steel roofs on the house.  But if we get 18 more inches like they claim, at least next time I hear thunder in the house I might jump, but will know what it is.

We've had two very warm days.  In the 40's even.  I can see the snow shrinking.  But with all the snow out there, spring is still a long time away.  When I had the new roofs on, my contractor told me not to put gutters on.  He said when the roof lets go, it just tears them off the facia anyway and makes a mess.

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

My neighbor has a steel roof and no snow on it either.  Haven't talked with him whether he was home when it let go or not.  Still have not got out to shoot though as it started to rain yesterday afternoon and is supposed to continue through much of today.  Oh well the gutters are cleared out.  I may even have time to build a box in the back of my new to me pickup for stuff I do not need in the cab.  I traded my 2001 silverado on a 2012 crew cab silverado with a leer cap.  It is a white color and most times I have to look for it in all this snow. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users