• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:10 AM

I received a new call from Paul Heasley, Phil's brother.  I do not have a pic of it yet but it is only about 3/8 inch thick, about 3 inches wide and about 4 inches long.  It fits in a shirt pocket.  It is a striker operated call with a strip of slate inset on one side and a strip of copper on the other side.  The two sides are separated by about 1/4 inch making a sound chamber in the middle.  Mine is cherry wood and a hardwood striker.  I do not have any copper calls and this call makes a real raspy call on the slate and a very clear higher pitched call on the copper side.   He makes them from several wood types and a choice of about 4 different call strips and even 4 different strikers.  From my playing around with it I believe it has a really good sound.  Methinks longbeards will be down this spring.  Is it turkey season yet.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

Always turkey season Paul! I just go to my freezer and grab one.  :p  Hope that this call brings them running.

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

Make sure you have some scotchbrite pads in your vest. Copper and Aluminum both need to be touched up frequently to keep their tone. In fact aluminum and copper will loose tone even if you aren't using them. They oxidize and you really can't prevent it. Glass and Slate are more forgiving but they still need a touch up as soon as they start to get slick.
Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for the reminder Leo this call came with both  scotch brite and  sand paper and the scotch brite will absolutely be along on the hunt. 

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users