• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

As some remember, I got a new flintlock muzzleloader last November.  It is a .54 caliber 1-56 twist swamped Colerain Barrel.  The parts were all fitted on a beautiful walnut stock.  With a Chambers lock and Douglas Trigger.  I wanted to shoot it but with eye surgeries, snow, winter, and just nothing making me crazy to shoot.  I have been pretty good.  

But today it was 47 degrees.  The sun was shining, no wind, not snowing...  you could sit outside without a jacket.  It was beautiful.  Just a nice day to SHOOT!

The problem was how to get out over three feet plus (we got 18 inches the other day of new snow) to set up and target to shoot at.  Then I saw it...  a piece of garden fence sticking out of the snow. The back stop of course is yard and yards of very wet snow. To the top of that wooden post is four feet.  I know, I built it.  And there looked like six inches or more sticking out of the snow.  You can just barely see it in the red circle.  The distance to that piece of wood is 32 yards. I checked it with my range finder.

7-DSCN0355_zpsb2319791.jpg

On zoom (there was no way I was walking out there with my bad knees and ankle in that deep if snow)  you can see the small chunk of post.  It is a 2x2 post.

You can also see that the new rifle shoots just a little to the right and high.  I guess I have some front sight that will need to be removed.  I shot three times off my walking sit while sitting in a chair using that stick and my fist, as a rest.  And all three went right into the same area. The balance of that rifle is amazing.  I was shooting 90 grains of 2f Schuetezen Black Powder, moose milk patch and home cast .530 round ball.

I can say that is one sweet trigger on the rifle and the lock is so fast you'd never know it was a flintlock.

1-DSCN0348_zpsdbfe5588.jpg

So I made an aiming adjustment as to how far left and it was hitting kind of high, so I made the adjustments and shot.  Bang!!  I got it good that time.  I learned how much lower I had to go in the point of aim because if you look on the right top of that stick you can see where it is now notched.  That is from a round ball.  So a little more adjustment was needed. And with a good guess I shot again, aiming under and left of that stick.  Well I must have been good as you can see.

4-RSCN0351_zpsf7c5a7a2.jpg

Now that I had the drop and the hold left figured out the rest was easy.  As the picture shows I got kind of into shooting that rifle off that single stick.  Unlike some, off hand shooting is not something I am good at.  But give me a shooting stick, or my walking stick and let me sit down I can get the job done. That red X shows my approximate point of aim.

I know I have to shave and drift a front sight.  But that can come after the snow melts.  And if anyone is worried, the balls shot were going into very deep snow drifts.  From past experience I know how fast snow can stop a round ball.  Also I own all the land behind there all the way to the federal forest.  So safety was addressed.

The new rifle is nice.  But cleaning it, since the barrel does not come off or the vent liner out..  was different.  I know that they say, put a tooth pick in the vent hole and pour your cleaner down there and slosh it back and fourth.  I instead kept running patches soaked in Rusty Duck Black Off until they showed no sign of fouling.  Then I ran dry patches until they were clean and dry.  Then I coated the barrel with Barricade Gun Oil to protect it.

And wiping off if the lick, frizzen, flints, hammer, etc...  done.  I think I can now hold out until the snow melts.

6-RSCN0354_zps9c1af2dd.jpg

1-DSCN0566_zps51bc1d46.jpg

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

Now lets see.  A PA longrifle using Kentucky windage in Wis.  Glad you got that beauty initiated.  Should not be too hard to make the sight adjustments necessary to get it hitting spot on.  I still have not shot my 1:48 barrel.  I have been having some back and neck issues, turns out I have a compressed disk in my lower back but it seems to be responding to an oral steriod and my neck is coming along with massage and muscle relaxers.  Till just the other day I just did not feel like shooting.  I may be able to shoot tomorrow morning if it is not raining.  Man you still have some serious snow there.  Ours is gone but when I got up this morning it was only 26 degrees. 

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

We got 18 inches of new snow.  It started snowing Thursday at 3:00 pm and did not stop until 7:00 pm on Friday.  Worst part is it was not only coming out of the west but off Lake Superior at the same time so we got really pounded.  We were down to about 30 inches on the ground, but that shot the totals all back up.  At least the weather turned warm and its melting fast.  Now we have to worry about flooding.  And of course mud season starts.

The shooting today really meant nothing to me other then the rifle functioned well.  I was so unsteady shooting off a single walking stick.  I can't wait to get that on a bench rest and really see what it can do.

I feel sorry for you with back and neck pain.  I suffer from Sciatica and there are times I am just flat on my back.  So with adding a neck pain to boot..  your in pain my friend.  So get well fast.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

Very nice there Cayugad, I want to do a little shooting this year but it has been to rainy and then that work thing keeps getting in the road but we will be out there soon enough.

AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

Yes Eric we do have to look up from our other passion (wrenching on our collection of Cub Cadets) and smell the black powder.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

Darn nice rifle. COngrats.

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users