• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

I know he doestn't get on here much but I got an email from him and both he and Jason have scored too.  by the sounds of it Jasons bird was a real monster with 3 beards.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

Way to go!

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

What no pictures? I thought Missouri was the "Show Me" state!
Posted Image

#4 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

Just thinking about Norm.

Congrats Spirithawk. We miss you at HR

Your eye in the northeast sky.

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

I agree with Leo. But, any word from out that way is welcome. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:52 AM

Haven't talked with Norm in a while. Glad that he has gotten himself a bird.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

Thanks guys. Sorry but try as I might it won't let me down load pics. Keeps saying I've used my limit. Even in my Gallery which is empty. Anyhow, it has been a pretty good season. The weather has made it a strange one, cold one minute and hot the next. The birds have been a bit contrary as a result. Last week I scored on a 19lb bird and, though it hadn't much of a beard nor spurs, I was happy to get it. Those breasts cut in strips, battered and fried, tasted mighty good and much better than a tag. ;) Jason tried a new spot on his way home from work. He is working security for the local hospital and gets off at 8:30 am. It payed off and he scored a 23lb bird with a 5", a 6 1/4", and  11 1/2" beards with 1 1/4" spurs. We didn't get to hunt for a few days and decided to this morning. It was pretty chilly early on and we heard a few birds gobble on the roost but well over on property we can't hunt. We worked our way down a ridge on our side and didn't hear a thing for about an hour. Then on down the ridge we heard one lone bird. We slowly headed his way but after just a couple gobbles he went silent. After a bit we heard him gobble one last time but farther away. We figured he had a hen, or hens, and obviously wasn't interested in us. We tried for another couple hours and heard nothing. Finally we headed back towards where we had parked our ATVs. About half way there we stopped and Jason yelped with his mouth call. Nothing! I pulled out the friction call that I won on here several years back. A Primos Ol Glory. The instant I hit it I got an answer! I hit it again and got not one but two birds answering! We quickly set up, put out a hen and a Jake inflatable decoys, and I hit the call again. They sounded off loud and much closer. I put the call down and we got our guns up and ready. Pretty soon off through some brush I saw a white head pop out. Soon it was followed by another. The birds worked their way towards us and as soon as they saw the decoys the dominant bird of the two headed straight at the Jake. I thought Jason had a shot at the other bird so I took him. Unfortunately there was a tree in Jason's line of sight so he didn't get a shot at the other bird. Mine went straight down from a 3 1/2" mag #5 shot Federal Turkey Thug. We set for a bit hoping the other bird would come back but it was not to be so. We'll go after him another day. My bird is the biggest I've ever taken. 25 lbs, 11 1/2" beard and 1 1/2" spurs. The spurs are some of the nicest I've ever seen and have a really  nice hook to them. The beard is heavy and quite thick. I'm extra pleased because usually Jason calls the birds in but I called these in myself. :) I wish I could post the pics but if anyone wants to see them just give me your email and I'll gladly send them to you. If maybe one of ya's could then post them for me that would be great if possible. My health is still iffy at times but I'm far from giving up. I've got 4 more doctors apointments in the next couple of weeks but I hope to get another day or two in hunting. Wishing you all safe and successful hunting.......Norm 

Edited by Spirithawk, 05 May 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

Norm that made my day.  Not only the post and the turkey but the phone call.  Man it was great to hear my bros voice. 

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:07 PM

Norm that made my day.  Not only the post and the turkey but the phone call.  Man it was great to hear my bros voice. 

Mine too Diganali, really enjoyed talking with you. :)

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:14 AM

Norm I have been trying to get your pics to show up but so far no luck for me either.

#11 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Congrats Norm!

Your eye in the northeast sky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users