• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

I just learned that once again I got drawn for a Sept western Kansas muzzleloader deer hunt.  I get both a buck and a doe permit.  I have missed a nice buck each year for three years and plan on bringing back a nice buck this year.  I plan on shooting out to 150 yds so I know where it is hitting .  I have found that out west the distances tend to be a bit longer than they are here in the east.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

Clean yer specs, Paul and giterdun. Around here, shots are loooong. If I had to rely on a front stuffer on a stubble field I'd starve to death. Hope that you manage to get one this fall. 

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

With the wife falling and spraining her ankle really bad about three weeks ago my time has not been my own.  Plus I still have wood to be cut, split and stacked.  Also with turkey season in its last week and rain predicted for the next several days I am not getting anything done.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

Have you ever tried the 40 caliber 200 grain Shockwave?  They come in a blue sabot and are meant for long range shooting.  I know they sound light in weight but everyone that has used them swear they are devastating on deer.  Also I find them extremely accurate at long ranges.  Some others to look at might be the new bloodline bullets from Knight.  Get a lighter bloodline to help shoot a flatter trajectory.

I know what its like with lots of work and reasons not to do it.  My knee I think is ready for replacement and its been killing me to do about anything.  I will be planting gardens this week and so that will be about it.  Good luck on your deer hunt.  The main this is pick a good powder and then practice.  Have you ever shot Triple Seven 2f powder?  I find it shoots well with sabots.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

Thanks  for the info.  I do have some 240 gr XTPs that shot pretty well for me.  Lots of possibilities so little time. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users