• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

After 12 yrs of monkeying around buying and selling and swapping countless rifles I finally found a Weatherby Mark 5 in .270 Wby Mag and 26" barrel that I could afford. So I put er on layaway tonight. Its plain and has a black nukeproof stock, so not the fancydan model like Redgreen shoots, but its still a wby mag WITH the 26" barrel. Should have it way before elk season so I'll have time to wring it out some. Already have a scope for it and it comes with Refield(Leupold) bases and rings. It'll have the honor spot in my gun cabinet next to my two sstl Vanguards. I hope my great friend Redgreen will be proud of me when I come to visit in a cpl yrs and outshoot him. Maybe by then I'll have Leupy scope for on it.

I hope all you old goats are well.

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

About time Charlie! Got your text this morning. Didn't reply because it costs me big time to send a text international. As for the outshooting me, I'll put an elk dinner on it that you can't. We will go out to Ted's and see how you can do on the 650 yard reactive. Bring your specs and a spotting scope so that you can see that far! :p I have been off work since June because I wrecked my left shoulder. It's getting a lot better. Have you got dies for it yet? Now, you are going to have to go shopping for some IMR 7828 and some bullets. They don't take real well to reduced loads. they prefer to be loaded warm to hot.  Did you get the accumark with the fluted barrel or is it a fibermark? Need a picture. Black nuke proof stock don't tell me nothing as to model. If it is a shooter, you will be more than impressed. Totally wicked caliber that will do everything that North America has to offer. You will be able to easily attain 3500 fps with the 130 grain, between 3300 and 3400 with the 140's and 3300 with the 150's. I have never loaded the 160 partition, so can't give you any tested data on them, but do know that the 140 grain Hornady boat tail totally flattens elk and moose. The 130's are flat fast and kill real well. A 130 partition will give complete penetration on an elk. The 150's be they Speer or Nosler are totally awesome. They really hold up at long range. Not enough difference in trajectory to worry about either. Welcome to the world of hyper velocity! :bigthumb:  :boone:

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

First of all sorry to hear you hurt your shoulder Fred.  I sure miss the phone calls.  Charlie sounds like you are getting yourself a real thumper of a rifle.  I don't own a Weatherby but do have a custom made wildcat 7mm mag and it shoots the 160 partitions great. 

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

Fred sorry about the shoulder. didn't know you were back to work, then off work. Hope you get back to work soon.   Pics of it are segmented, when I get it I'll get it all dolled up and take some pics. Should be mid Sept. Not too long to wait.  I'll prob spring for a  box or two of factory ammo to zero it at 300,  looks like the 140 Accubond is the hardest hitting load but also the pricelyest. Good to hear back from you, sorry about the intl text charges, I ran into same thing when  we were in Honduras in March. Get well soon.

Paul that 7mm w 160s sounds interesting. When I had my 264 from 66 to 86 I sot some 160s but they was round nose. Very accurate to 300y but like a rock after that.

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:50 PM

I'm gonna side with Fred that those hornady boattails really shine at Weatherby Velocities. I've used them in both 257WBY and 300WBY with excellent results.

Lately I've been using the same 180gr Accubonds in both my 30-06 and 300WBY. They shoot great and perform great on game from both rifles. I'm pretty impressed with them. If you're gonna reload try some. Nosler also makes a long range version of the Accubond with super low drag coefficients. I'm itching to try some but I've got enough ammo that I don't want to make the change yet.
Posted Image

#6 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:51 AM

Charlie, the 150 grain holds up better at long range than the other offerings. I personally don't think that the added cost of the others is warranted. It kills just fine with the 150 grain Hornady interlock. They are more reasonable prices when you get to the till as well. Sure am glad that I have a few thousand component bullets that I got a few years ago. When Ron was closing his shop for good we got Weatherby brass for $10.00 a box and the bullets for the same. The factory loads were $20.00. Cleaned the shelves off.I have close to 500 brass and a couple hundred loaded and at least 6 boxes of factory. Haven't found a critter yet that I have seen a difference in performance with the interlock or the partitions. I have lots of the partitions, and use them but have not seen any difference in levels of dead.Moose don't know if it was hit with either of them. You are going to be pleasantly surprised when you get out to the range and do some long pokes.

#7 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

I will take all your good advice and comments into consideration when it comes factory ammo time.  Lotsa choices, none cheap, but that's Weatherby.

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rifles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users