• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:47 PM

Today I just had an urge to shoot.  I wanted to shoot a flintlock.  And was running out of time.  So I threw a target up.  Turns out it was only 35 yards out.  But that's ok.  I wanted to have some fun.

I then looked at the rack and decided I had not shot my Lyman Trade Rifle Flintlock in .54 caliber in ages.  I had shot the .50 Trade Rifle a lot but kind of put that one on the back burner so to say.

Anyway I got it out.  Some home cast .530 round ball, a chunk of pillow tick, some moose milk, a new flint, a new pound of powder, and grabbed the rifle bag and headed out.

2-DSCN0612_zps1be2466f.jpg

I got all set up and began shooting.  The rifle's ignition was flawless.  So I decided to shoot it dirty.

1-DSCN0608_zps7941bb3a.jpg

I checked the patches and they looked about perfect other then the powder marks.  So there was no complaint there.  

Now 35 yards is close range.  I know that and so do you.  But the group was still a little impressive.

3-DSCN0613_zps7e3307a7.jpg

The rifle has the old style buckhorn sights that I happen to really see well over.  The first shot on a clean bore was a little off.  I could live with that.  Then I just started hammering.  Shooting as fast as I dare load.  I did swab about every third or fourth shot.  That upper HOLE..  I really did loose count as to how many times I shot there.  I would guess, and only a guess...10.  So I decided to see if I could lower my POA and sneak one in the bull.  The first try, I was excited and knew I pulled the shot.  The last shot of the day, I did it all right...  took my time, set my sight and squeezed it off.  Pretty good for me.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

Cool, nice smoker. Looks a lot like a Hawken. Congrats on a great rifle and good day shooting.

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

Very close to the Hawken design other then there is no patch box on them.  I really like the Trade Rifle.  I have one in .50 and .54 and both of them are excellent shooters of roundball.  They also I discovered shoot Powerbelts.  A person sent me some .54 caliber  405 grain powerbelts.  So I tried them in the Trade Rifle with a 70 grain charge.  The accuracy was amazing.  But I guess its hard to break old habits of throwing roundball.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:05 PM

Good shooting for sure especially with a flinchlock.  I have been having some back problems and as a result am even more unsteady than usual shooting.  Dr put me on some oral steriods and even though I am only into the 3rd day of those meds I feel much better already.  I must get into some arm and shoulder strength training to steady down those wavering sights.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

Good shooting for sure especially with a flinchlock.  I have been having some back problems and as a result am even more unsteady than usual shooting.  Dr put me on some oral steriods and even though I am only into the 3rd day of those meds I feel much better already.  I must get into some arm and shoulder strength training to steady down those wavering sights.

Well my doctor got after me as for some reason I have gained weight.  So he told me to exercise more.  Like cutting firewood is not work?  But I purchased a recumbent bicycle because of my bad knees.  So every morning I jump on that and ride is as far as my knee lets me.  I can't say its helping in the weight loss though. :tsk:  

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

Since my back has been acting up again I have gained some weight too.  When I tried to walk for exercise I got bad calf cramps .  My arm strength is what I need to improve and hopefully a steadier hold.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users