• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:48 PM

After a dismal time in Kansas where my Knight left me down on a doe.  I resighted it and after that I did not have a shot.  When I cleaned the rifle out there I found that the stock screw was not as tight as I usually have it.  When I got back late last month I vowed to shoot a few shots just to see if it was still on and try dropping back to 85 gr of Goex 2f.  It was actually loaded with 90 grains of 2f.  Well today my back and bowel were on a rampage all morning but this afternoon I felt good enough to get out to the range and fire off a few shots.  My first shot with the 90 grains of 2f was about 2 1/2 inches high but dead on.  I loaded several times with 85 grains and shot and my pattern with 3 of those 4 shots were touching each other at near 2 inches high I had one shot that was a little right and lower but only about the width of the bullet away from the other three.  I declared it ready to hunt next week.  I did make sure that the stock screw was tightened to my satisfaction too. 

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 17 October 2014 - 08:50 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:17 PM

My LK rifles with the 22 inch barrel are really fussy.  85 grains of powder and no more.  With the kind of shooting you described...  you should be set to go.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

Dave my pattern was not just good it was great.  I took another look at it yesterday and three of the shots made one big hole with the other just outside and a bulletwidth lower.  I agree the rifle does like the 85 grain load but I was trying to get just a tad more distance for the Kansas hunt.  I now know that my stock screw has to be tight for it to do its best.  I may try the 90 grain load later as it seemed to shoot pretty well when I first shot it. 

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:15 PM

why is it, these short barrel Knights shoot so well.  I have three of them and not one of them is a bad shooter.  That Bighorn you shoot was always said to be an excellent shooter.  You just prove that.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

Sorry for not replying any sooner but was out of town for a few days hunting.  I carried the Bighorn for three days, saw deer every day but did not shoot.  This was a muzzleloader doe hunt and every deer I had anywhere in range was a buck.  I saw 9 deer and all were bucks with one a whopper.  My son did use my bighorn to finish off a doe he had hit with his flintlock so it did some good.  I agree those knight short barrels all seem to shoot really well.  If I recall correctly my accusporter barrels are knight barrels too and seem to shoot well.

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:24 PM

Knight and many other companies used Green Mountain Barrel Company to make their barrels.  So they were putting some high quality barrels on rifles.  I have around ten Green Mountain Barrels that fit my T/C Hawken, Renegade, and Lyman Trade rifles.  Its kind of neat to put a .45 caliber barrel on a Renegade and shoot sabots out to 100 yards with extreme accuracy.  My barrels are scoped all but the .58 caliber which is a roundball shooter.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:32 PM

Of course my knight is scoped but my accusporter cannot be as it is my go to flintlock and PA does not allow scopes during the late flinter season.  They did recently make peep sights legal and that is what I have on it.  It does well with the 1-28 barrel but I have the 1-48 barrel on it now and have to shoot it.  I have the peep mounted on the barrel lug receiver so it stays on the rifle and the front sight is the same on both barrels so it should shoot pretty close to the same with either barrel.  We will see as soon as my back stops acting up.  Right now I am walking around like an old man.  Wait a minute I am an old man. Lol

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:13 PM

LOL ....   :tsk:   I walk around like an old man every day.  I know all is well when I get out of bed in the morning to the sounds of my knees cracking, my ankles popping, and my back hurting.  I think that's how it goes in later years.  

I have fancy GMB's for my Hawken Rifles.  And I still like to put that 1-48 barrel on it and shoot roundball.  Some habits (especially with us older generation) are hard to let go of..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users