• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:32 PM

We all have shots that we brag about. Shots that by some standards seemed almost impossible or at least extreme. But what about the shots you made that did not turn out so well. Now I am not talking about a miss. I am talking about a verified hit, you recovered the animal, but the shot you made on that animal WITH A MUZZLE LOADER was far from stellar.

I will start it out. I once had a sure shot. I mean I could taste the venison in the pan, this shot was so easy. 35 yards away. Broadside buck. Weapon was a .54 caliber renegade with open sight. Load was Pyrodex RS, bore butter patched round-ball.

I was in a blind. Rifle rested on the window ledge. Set trigger on. BOOM!! Down it goes. Up it jumps. And I see a huge red spot on the side of the deer we commonly call the gut area. Deer runs off. Long story short.. lots of tracking, help with friends, and recovered the deer over a mile away.

The rifle was checked at the range back at the hunting cabin. It was shooting four inches low and left. Boiled the barrel with water. Chunks of bore butter (yes I was a bore butter user then) came out the barrel. Scrubbed the bore clean. Back to the range. Touched holes dead center bull at 50 yards.

I never used bore butter again in my rifles as a patch lube or as a protection from rust.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:24 AM

My son, this year, using a quite accurate Lyman Deer stalker shot a doe at about 75 yds from an elevated blind.  It stumbled and ran off in the woods.  I came over to the location and we could not find a blood trail but did find where a deer had run in fresh near ankle deep leaves.  About 15 yds into the woods we found blood.  Blood was really hard to see as the maple leaves had red spots on them naturally.  In what I could only describe as shear perseverence we dogged that wounded deer till we jumped it about 200 yds from the shot location.  Neither of us got a shot at the time but it layed down agaom in about 75 -80 yds.  We called off the trailing and marked last blood and went for some lunch.  At about 2:00 pm we got back on the trail and after a number of false starts found the blood trail again.  This time my son had my inline and I had his 243 rifle (legal for old geezers).  We jumped it again and got a shot but it kept on for a few yards.  Long story short when we finished off the animal it had 4 hits and only a neck shot anchored it.  We discovered that he had hit it in the front leg at the joint and only extreme perseverence allowed us to recover this animal.  In all the deer had gone nearly a half mile.  He is normally a quite good shot but this time got only a marginal hit.  He was using a TC maxi ball in front of 85 grains of 3f goex which we had not tried at more than 50 yds at which it was about 1 1/2 inches high.  At the moment we do not know why it hit so low but felt very fortunate in recovering the doe.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:53 AM

Here is one that I have been bragging about for years.  I was working out a sidehill that ended in a rather steep dropoff.  When I got to the dropoff I, for a moment, quit hunting and was taking in the view.  Yes you guessed it several deer jumped up and ran straight away.  Two more started around the back of the hill where my son was.  I had the flintlock up and ready to fire but was looking at the two heading toward my son.  I figured that a shot would keep them on course and touched one off.  Everything worked as planned except my son missed his shot.  I went to his location and found he had hit a tree.  He asked me if I had hit with my shot and I said goodness no I just shot to push those two to you.  I did want to go back and see if the deer were standing or actually bedded down when I approached.  As I searched my son said "Dad what is that down there".  I looked where he pointed and lo and behold a deer was lying down the hill.  We went down and sure enough it was very fresh and very limber and very dead.  That was the only deer I ever got, 1 without aiming and 2 without a hole in the hide.  Yep it was a perfect texas bullseye shot and the round ball bumped the backbone and ended up under the skin in the neck. 

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

I had a friend that did the ole Wisconsin bulls eye one deer season with a .32 Special Winchester lever gun.  Same kind of thing...  he jumped them and a little 3 pointer took off running.  He pulled up and did a snap shot and was shocked when it flipped over dead.  Then when he got to the buck he of course looked at the neck for his entry wound.  He couldn't find it.  But when he opened it up, he saw it.  And worse, smelt it.  What a mess that .32 made on that deer.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

I was quite surprised that I did not hit gut on that shot.  I did blow up a kidney and the bullet stayed right up next to the backbone.  I was using a prb at the time  When I field dressed the doe I found that I actually shot three deer.  This was in January and she already had two fetus's that you could plainly see were deer they were smaller than a mouse though.  Oh well it was a good learning tool for me and my son.

#6 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

Cayugad, I shot a doe a few years ago that ( the doe was quartering to me) and I shot her almost in the shoulder and we tracked that deer for almost two days, and didn't get, Yes I got another shot at her the second day almost at the truck but I missed and her bed was full of blood, and the chase was on again but didn't recover her. The next year I switched to the TC Maxi's in 370 grain and had almost the same shot situation and that slug went from front shoulder to just under the hide near the rear and the deer only ran 75 yards or so. So now I have come up to the conclusion that the 180 gr round balls and shoulder blades are not a good combo.   

AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:24 PM

I too admit the 177 grain .50 caliber roundball has limitations but then I have seen it do some remarkable shot and drops.  I personally like a .54 caliber when I hunt with roundball.  And the reason is the bigger 223 grains ball, and the added energy at the target.  But when you shoot a maxi ball you're just going to flatten about anything.  I have a friend that hunts 70 grains and a maxi ball and had killed a lot of deer, even a bear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users