6 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:45 PM

Ok. I need a new gun. Been to long since I've bought one. I'm handy and I hate the political climate so I decided to go all in. I'm going to build an AR-15. I bought an 80% lower receiver that I have to mill out. Now, I've done all the you tubing and browsing builds online for the lower. I also have the 11 page instruction booklet from the manufacturer of the lower. So I think I am good to go there. However...now comes the hard part. Figuring out what to build it as. I like to plink. I like to be accurate. I have a tight budget which is part of why I'm building it. I'm buying it part by part, since we're going to Disney next year for 6 days and I cant spend much until afterwards... so this is a 2 year project for me. I used to own an SKS. Its a decent plinking round and affordable even after the Obama scare made ammo scare. I know there is a 7.62 x 39 mm upper for AR-15's. But then if I cant or don't go that route, There is so many 5.56/.223 uppers to choose from it's mind boggling. I mean, how does one choose? I know I do want to free float the barrel. I would like something better then the A2 grip and would like an adjustable stock. I'd also like to use both iron sites and have the option to use optics.  I am at a loss. What do I need to take into consideration? I've been looking at uppers and other kits from Ares Armor, Cheaper than dirt and Model 1 sales.

Sorry I'm used to military surplus and hunting rifles.

Edited by Whitetiger, 10 November 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

My youngest son either is or is planning the same project.  When I see him I will pick his brain for do's and don'ts.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:25 PM

I have been looking at them just to have for the Zombie Apocalypse.   :rolleyes:   I looked at a lot of different models and basically I want a Colt.  It has 1-7 twist which lets it shoot heavier ammunition at long ranges VS 1-9 twist.  This would be handy if I ever wanted to deer hunt with it.  My friend deer hunts with one and claims they are an excellent deer gun.  Also it is a 5.56x45 Nato which is a stronger action then the .223 caliber.  You can't shoot 5.56x45mm in the .223 but you can shoot the .223 in the 5.56x45mm.  Also the colt has a direct gas system locking bolt.

I really am not a varmint hunter.  But I love to shoot.  And if you purchase ammo in bulk, while expensive... it is an affordable shooting weapon.  And since I know little to nothing about building one. And I admire those that can build one.   I have to take the word of knowledgeable people and follow their recommendations. My friend has the Colt and mounted a Leupold scope on is.  He claims at 100 yards it will touch holes off a bench rest.  He is a very good shooter.  And also normally he don't BS me.

Good luck on your build.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

I got to take my brothers bushmaster .223 carbine out to the range this weekend. I have a better understanding of what I don't want. lol for starters a carbine. even with the adjustable stock it seems to short for me. He also has a scope on it that came with it. there's a shroud at the end of the scope. It seems to reduce the image size. On a normal scope if you see that black crescent you know your eye relief is off. This thing you almost have to treat like a telescope because its a complete black ring. No matter where I moved the scope. Despite the reduced image, I shot well with it (I think) 5" group with no rest at 100 yards. I'd do better with it with a regular scope. I definately want the  20" barrel for my build. I wish my state game lands would change the 3 round limit to 10 rounds. going plink-plink-plink...click...crap time to reload..... puts a damper on the fun of a semi auto.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:36 AM

As far as I know PA still does not allow any semi auto rifles during hunting seasons.  Semi auto shotguns are legal for small game but not rifles.  I shot the M16 a lot in 35 yrs in the military and never really liked them.  They in my mind were a spray and pray weapon while all my rifles were all one shot one kill.  Guess I am just a sniper kind of guy.  I did enjoy the M60 though as it would reach out and touch the target at more than a whites of the eyes range.  We even took a few shots rambo style with the old M60.  But then my idea of fighting a war was to call the Air Force in from 8 countries away.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:21 AM

You are correct in that you may not hunt big game with a semi. They have came out with an pump conversion kit that turns a semi auto AR 15 into a pump action, which would make it legal to hunt pa big game with an AR 15. My gripe about capacity is having to stop to reload while target shooting every 3 rounds. Would be better every 10 rounds.

Edited by Whitetiger, 18 November 2014 - 08:25 AM.

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:24 PM

Not wishing to sound totally stupid...  why don't they allow semi automatic rifles for deer season?  I have used semi automatic rifles a lot.  And its funny..  I normally found I fired one shot.  Are they worried about the idiot that goes out there with a 30 round magazine and just tries to mow something down?

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users