6 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

http://www.cabelas.c...40&type=product

This was posted on a different forum.  Redfield makes a good scope, since they are made by Leupold I was told.  So for this kind of money I purchased one.  I am going to put this on my Sig Sauer 522  .22 caliber rifle.  Should make an interesting squirrel gun.  But this is a muzzleloader scope.  And is set up with a BDC for the sabot shooters out there.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the heads up.  I don't need a scope right now as I have only one front loader that I can use a scope on and it has a bushnell elite 4 - 12 on it. 

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:55 AM

I could not pass up this deal.  I wanted to put a high quality scope on my fancy .22 caliber rifle.  This sounded like just the ticket.  I had debated with just a 4x33mm Leupold and then when I saw this..  well I can use the extra X's to view tree rats.  Also with the BDC it might be interesting to see how the .22 does at long ranges.  I was told by an old range rat that he felt the .22 caliber rifle is the most misunderstood caliber out there.  I remember he grinned and said... you'd be surprised what a .22 caliber will kill.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:29 PM

I recall when I was a kid and attended a bunch of butcherings of both hogs and at least one head of cattle.  All that was used was a 22 lr revolver and only recall of one hog that required more than one shot in the head.  Yes most people do not know the capabilities of the lowly 22lr.  I often wished that a decent scope would be made  parralax free at 50 yds.  When I last looked a 22 scope, parralax free, only had a tiny field of view and was a least quality scope. 

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 19 November 2014 - 05:37 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:49 PM

I was looking for an old style .22 scope that attached to the ribs on the receiver of the rifle.  I have an old bolt action springfield single shot and its so old the rear sight rusted off.  Found it in a garage.  I got the bore in good shape and figured...  throw a cheap scope on it and see how it shoots.  I have a great nephew that I know would die from joy if that was given to him.

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

Well I got the Redfield Revenge 3-9x42mm in today.  It has the ABS (Accu-Ranger Ballistic System) ML Sabot crosshairs on it.  According to the book with it, you can range your animal by adjusting the focus in the lens then reading the distance meter.  After that is is picking out the correct BDC notch to aim off of.

I was looking out the back window of the house with it.  And this is no means a test of the rifle or endorsement.  I find the clarity of the scope excellent.  The adjustments turn easy but solid.  While i like shorter total overall length scope, this one is not totally out of line.  The eye relief is excellent

I was planning on putting this on a .22 caliber rifle.  But the more I look at it, I might change out a muzzle loader scope of quality, like a Nikon 2-7x32mm for the .22 and replace it with this.  But still for the money it was a good deal.

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:35 AM

Well I was impressed with the Revenge so much I took a 2-7x32mm Bushnell Elite off my White .451 M97 and traded it with the Revenge.  The Bushnell ended up on the Sig Sauer 522 .22 caliber rifle.  They look like nice set ups.  Should be good.  I want to get out and try the White and the .22 caliber real soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users