• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

A couple weeks ago I switched barrels on my accusporter to the 1-48 twist barrel.  I have not shot a deer with that barrel so want to do so this flintlock season.  I went to the bench with some 3f 90 grain loads and could not get a group.  I was shooting the 370 grain maxi with a felt button.  I was very disappointed with this load bullet combo.  Well today I finally had some time and the weather cooperated so went to the bench again, this time with 75 grains of 3f and no felt button.  I also got a group but just a tad high.  I can live with that.  I may lower the rear sight just a tad, shoot a couple more, and call it good.  Nothing like waiting till the last minute to get ready.  Our primitive arms deer season starts the day after Christmas. 

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

Good luck with that smoke pole, Paul.

#3 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:22 PM

Can't wait for the weather to cooperate here Paul. Wanting to get ready for taking the muzzy to CO next Sept. for elk. Had to take the scope off as CO only allows open sights and no pellets only loose powder. Went and bought a nice fiber optic sight so anxious to site in. Good luck hunting. I thought I heard some singing from the PA gang. All I want for the day after Christmas is a brown and down. :hunter:

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:20 PM

Yep that was me singing in the shower.  I am a confirmed bathroom baratone.  So Colorado has not changed its muzzleloader rules yet.  I went in 2008 and did the same thing with my front loader too.  I use loose real bp so the load was not too hard to develop but then I found out there were cow elk modern firearms permits available for the same timeframe in area 45 so I went with that but it still did not help as I did not get a shot.  Now I am too old to chase them.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

Good luck on your deer hunt, and your singing.  I hope you shoot a monster.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:31 PM

I just finished cleaning out my blaze orange coat(s) and transferring what I need to hunt with the flintlock to camo  coat and vest.  I also loaded up three quick loads, found my pan powder, put a short starter in the pocket, and put a load in the rifle.  Now to get out there and find a stupid deer to bring home.  They don't come easy as they have been chased, harassed and shot at since the beginning of October.

#7 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:33 PM

All the deer I have tried to harvest look at me and say "look at that stupid guy in camo in that tree @ -10 below." Course I haven't been out this year due to my shoulder surgery but thats what they would say this time of year.

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

I once went out in our muzzle loading season and it was -28º below. Thank goodness the wind was not bad.  The Wind Chill I was told later was -42º below.  I wore my Sorrel Dominator Boots good to -100 below (made for ice fishing), and lots of clothing, but I just sat there shivering so much that I finally said...  hot coffee at the cabin.  And walked out.  I was never so glad to get back to the cabin and near that wood stove.

Although I did shoot on my range one afternoon and it was -30 below.  I wanted to see how the rifle acted in bitter cold.  But I could walk in the back door of my house and warm up, then run out, load and shoot.  It was kind of fun.  And I learned that the rifle shot the same in bitter cold as it did in mild cold.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:19 PM

When I got my deer the weather was not very cold at least for this time of year but just as the deer showed up it began to rain and sleet, not good for a flintlock.  I got as good of ignition as a flintlock can deliver.  The barrel is now christened.  I took about a 60 yd shot and hit exactly where I aimed which was the neck as that was all that I had to shoot at.

#10 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

Ok here is PA's deer.Dads2015flintlockdeer_zps5a30ec6d.jpg

And here is my doe.

Flintlockdoe20152_zpsde887648.jpg

AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

Nice looking deer.  In that picture Eric, that looks like a large doe you got there.  Congratulations.

#12 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:23 PM

Thanks, yeah we got the same amount of meat out of both deer but mine was just a little bigger.

AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:28 PM

Eric had to have dragged at least a few pounds off that doe.  From where we took that pic to where the truck was parked was well over a mile and once we got it down off the hill where it expired it was all uphill.  We had to go all the way from the ridge bottom to the top till there was any downhill and then it was only about 150 yds down to the truck.  Thank God for the couple of inches of snow both for dragging but in finding the deer.

#14 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:58 AM

I have sure pulled my share of deer in my life.  Why is there always a hill in front of you?  :tsk:   I can remember one doe in particular, I was pulling her out of a alder, cedar marsh through thickets.  I hate to admit it but I came close to unhooking her and just walking home.  I really thought I would have a heart attack.  But I got her to a high ground spot, went home, got the ATV and the chain saw, and cut my way to her.  With the winch and a long rope, I got her the rest of the way out,  When I got home, I was physically exhausted.  I mean just shot.  I sat in an chair and drank coffee for about an hour before I went and even hung it.

I found a great way to drag them out.  I use the safety harness from my tree stand.  It has shoulder, chest and a waist belt strap then a 8 foot safety lead off the back.  So I put that one, tie a rope to the head of the deer, put that on a slide mat and tie it in, then attach that to the harness.  Its like a pulling harness then, and if you have snow, they slide right out of the woods.  As long as you don't have thickets.

#15 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:37 PM

We had a wheeled deer cart but it was still in the back of the truck and neither of us wanted to make the climb, pick up the carrier and return to the deer and then still have the whole trip to do all over again in that brutal weather.  Fortunately there are several old logging roads angling up the steep slope so we only half died on the trip back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users