4 replies to this topic

#1 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:45 PM

I will be heading to Colorado for my elk hunt next year. I will be using my CVA muzzy. Colorado does not allow pellets only powder. I will be using a power belt but have no idea which one I should use and should I use a magnum load? I have taken off my scope and installed a sweet fiber optic sight as you also cannot use a scope. I am planning on calling CVA but with all the expertise here I want all your opinions first. I am hunting area 41 on a private ranch. Thanks guys.

Steve

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:17 PM

Can't help you with the powerbelts as I could not find one that shot well for me besides they are expensive to shoot till you do find a good load.  How far is your distance limit.  What caliber is your muzzleloader.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:51 PM

50 cal and outfitter said if I can hit at 100yrds. I would be good. Called CVA and they suggested a 300 gr areo lite with 100 gr. of loose powder. As soon as the weather breaks and my shoukder is healed from surgery I will be out shooting.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:14 PM

Sounds like a good starting point but don't rush it till the shoulder is healed.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

Of course CVA is going to suggest a Powerbelt.  They sell them.  There are better bullets out there that for something like an elk can and will do a better job.

Since you need to shoot a conical bullet.  I would contact Thor Bullets.  https://thorbullets.com/  The Thor is a Barnes bullet but made to conical specifications.  They make them in various dimensions from .500 to .505 I believe.  If you contact them they will send you a sample pack.  Also their all copper design will mean excellent fight trajectory and expansion in game.  This will bring down your elk.  Now granted they cost a little more.  But for a once in a life time hunt, you'll feel really stupid if you blow your chance or wound a trophy bull because of a couple bucks.

Others owning the CVA line of rifles report excellent accuracy with the Thors.  I will contact some of them and see what diameter they shoot out of their CVA Optima rifles.  This will help if you decide to order them. What model CVA do you have.  One particular person I talk to shoots all makes and models of CVA and lives in Colorado.  He shoots Thors.

Something I do when shooting to see what bullet and load works for me.  And when Bullets are expensive.  Leave the scope on for the time being.  Once you have a good bullet and load.  Take it off and then sight that known load to your sights.  It saves time and money.

In my Optima I have shot Thor bullets.  I used 100 grains of 3f Black Powder and  the following bullet.  With a scope I was shooting 2-2+ inch groups at 100 yards.  Plenty good for a bull.   

50300-2 300 GRAIN BALLISTIC TIP   50 CAL - .502 DIAMETER

$26.00 + S&H

Good luck on your hunt.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users