• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:46 PM

A while back, Cabela's was selling these Redfield Revenge 3-9x42mm set up for muzzleloader, scopes,for a very cheap price IMO.  $79.99 for what I had read, a quality scope.  So I purchased one.  I mounted it on a White Model M97 Whitetail Hunter .451 caliber muzzleloader.  The scope came and I mounted it but couldn't seem to have weather right or time to go out and sight the scope in and see how I liked it.

Finally, the other day it was 20ºs and no wind.  Nice and warm you could say.  It was overcast but I wanted to shoot.  So I bore sighted the rifle in the house and set a very simple target out at 50 yards.  At first I had a target out, but two shots and the target dot fell off the target because of the cold.  So I put some super duct tape on the box.

IMG_20150103_143450_zps35fdd542.jpg

I loaded the rifle with 65 grains of Triple Seven 2f and was shooting a 460 grain .451 diameter bullet.  I shot from a bench and just walked the shots into the tape.  The last three pleased me.

Now my observations of the scope.  The scope is kind of long. Much longer then I usually put on a rifle.  But in the case of the rifle I mounted it on, it works fine.  Even with the larger 42mm bell.  The clarity of this scope is excellent, even amazing I would rate it.  I was able to focus that scope so it looked like the tape was super clear right in front of me.  The dials on the scope are easy to adjust and easy to read.  Just a nice handling scope.

I was told that Redfield was purchased by Leupold.  This might account for the quality of the glass.  I only regret now that I did not purchase two of them.  But this will make a nice scope.  It has a BDC set up for a muzzleloader.  Although the lead I am shooting might make things chance.  And there is a way to judge how far the animal is from you by the markings in the glass.  I am still reading on that.  Overall, and mind you this is the first time out..  but I really like this glass.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

Good review, sounds like a great scope. Thanks.

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users