5 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:09 PM

My son and I scored our 5th double, all between 22 and 25 lbs, when I was able to call in  two birds opening morning of Missouri's Turkey Season. Mine weighed 23 lbs, 12 " beard and 1 1/2" spur. One spur was worn down to almost nothing from fighting and his upper wings were missing feathers. I imagine also from fighting. My son's bird weighed 24 lbs, 11 1/2" beard and it also only had 1 spur 1 1/2" long. The other was torn off from fighting. We started out with a group of large Jakes that kept coming in. They averaged about 18 lbs with about 6" beards but we don't shoot Jakes. We let them go and headed to our favorite ridge about 8 am. We sat and called a couple times and hearing nothing my son opened a bag of jerky and was just taking a bite when I called again. We imediately heard a loud gobble down the ridge behind us! The look on my son's face was priceless! We had to scramble to get on the opposite side of the trees we were sitting against and soon saw white heads bobbing through the woods headed our direction. Problem was I had a downed tree between me and them. I called again and they came to us on a string. My son nailed his but the down tree was blocking me from shooting. Then the remaining bird jumped the downed one tearing into it. When he jumped up in the air it gave me my shot and he joined his buddy! We were thrilled as we were doubting our odds of getting one because of it being super windy. We were having to watch for "Widow Makers" as much as birds. It was an awesome morning made all the better being shared with my son. By the way, I injected the breasts with Cajun Butter & Herb marinade and slow Hickory smoked them. They were pretty darn good too! Thrilled to hear my Brother Paul got a nice bird in Kansas too. :) I wish I could post a pic but the site won't let me. :(

Edited by Spirithawk, 27 April 2015 - 06:29 PM.

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

Way to go Norm.

#3 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:34 PM

Cool.  Great hunt. Congrats

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:24 PM

Thanks guys :)

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:07 PM

Great story.  Better outcome.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:09 AM

Congrats Norm!

Your eye in the northeast sky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users