• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:34 PM

My wife and I journeyed once again to Kansas.  We got there travel weary on Monday the 13th.  On
Wednesday, the turkey opener, My son-in-law and went to a small ranch we have permission to hunt and crossed an open pasture field to the woods.  Kenny hooted three or 4 times and finally we got several shock gobbles.  For the past several years when turkeys roost in that spot they migrate to the pasture.  We quick set up but the birds flew down and went the opposite way.  We tried to catch up to them but when a young jake started putting behind us the strutters once again went the other way.  Without much more action I called it a day.  We sat at the supper table table that evening and formulated another plan.  We would circle around the roosted birds and get between them and the lower field they liked to strut.  After stumbling through the dark and over a high fence we finally got set up and called.  We had no less than three replies.  Several passed by on their way to the field but way out of range.  The remaining bird kept answering us so it was still game on.  Kansas had a good stretch of warm weather early and the low bushes were in full leaf so I could only see about 20 - 25 yds.  I finally saw the tom in the brush at about 20 yds.  Saw it was a longbeard but it was strutting with its head drawn back so I had to wait till it put out its head to gobble.  It seemed like a very long time but finally it did and I shot.  Turkey #26 ended up being my heaviest to date weighing in at 24.4 lbs. the big brush of a beard measured 10 1/2 inches.  It's feet were very large but it only had 3/4 inch spurs.  To me the spurs indicate a 2 yr old bird but the rest of the bird indicates an older bird.  Whatever it came home with me and I am proud of it.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

Congrats Diganali! :)

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:29 PM

Congrats Paul.

#4 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:52 AM

Cool. COngrats on the bird.

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:34 PM

Thanks all had a great time with #26.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:08 AM

Belated congrats Paul!!

Your eye in the northeast sky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users