3 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

I have an chance to hunt a PA red tag farm and can start hunting this month. Has anyone any experience hunting in warm weather? I understand I need to cool the deer down ASAP. But is there anything to be concerned about. Such as, when I was a boy we were told not to eat any rabbit we might have shot with the pellet gun because they were wormy. A co-worker said that he was told the deer meat falls apart. I doubt that but I'd like to hear any tips since I'll have to butcher the meat myself since my butcher is closed. I plan on freezing it for my butcher to make spice sticks and bag bologna with in September.

#2 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

I was always told by the old timers not to eat deer till after July 4th so according to that you should be fine. Just get it cooled down PDQ.pretty darn quick.

#3 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

I was always told by the old timers not to eat deer till after July 4th so according to that you should be fine. Just get it cooled down PDQ.pretty darn quick.

That was so fawns would be big enough to live without momma.

WT, your coworker is just yankin your leg.

Do like woodhick said, get it gutted ASAP, have a cooler with you and get a couple of bags of ice or several gallon jugs of frozen water in the chest and gut cavity to help cool it quickly. Get it back to your place quickly and get the hide off and deboned and you'll be fine.

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users