• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

I am sure most of us are doing house chores, fishing, or getting ready for season.  I too have been working around the place, but have been taking time out to shoot.  I was shooting my Optima the other day.  The load was only 90 grains of Black Horn 209 and a .40 caliber 200 grain XTP and SST.  Since the bullets are so similar I wanted to compare their POI, and group size.

Both shot real well.  Both hit the same place on the target.  The target was at 52 yards.  The thing I noticed was the SST grouped just a hair tighter.  But I would not want to live on the difference.  The reason I post this is on a different forum, a member did a test with the 200 grain XTP.   

He shot through, plywood, carpet and into five water jugs.  The surprise was the bullet went through two jugs and lodged in the third jug.  It was in pieces mind you.  But if that were places behind a shoulder, it would have done extensive damage.

Their test was done with 80 grains of BlackHorn 209 and the targets were 25 yards.  Kind of an impressive bullet.   But remember the bullet is for a handgun.  So the speeds from a handgun would be slow.  But it was a very interesting test.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

Up to my neck with doctor's visits, dealing with a new house and the upcoming season (starts Sept 15th here in the upstate).

I still watch what's going on here. Thanks for stopping by and sharing!
Posted Image

#3 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:35 AM

I try to get in here a  cpl times a week to read. But the older I get the less I have to say. Kinda miss the old times when we were all onhere and there was no fb and we could chat  and argue in the  chatroom.

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#4 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

I'm still here. :)

Your eye in the northeast sky.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:37 PM

I am still here too but not as much as I used to.  Been real busy this summer with firewood and tearing down a 10X46 house trailer.  I did shoot my Knight inline the other day and shot two 300 grain XTP Mags at 50 yds with 85 gr of 2f.  First shot was nearly 3 inches high but dead on.  My second shot was about 3/4 inch to the left.  I then decided to try a plain 300 gr XTP and hit the same hole as the second shot.  I do want to play a little more at 100 yds to see where I  am hitting.  All 300 gr XTPs I have recovered were still in one piece and infact only lost about 5 gr but had expanded to 64 cal.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 23 August 2015 - 09:41 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:13 AM

Social media killed this place.

wish Jer would disallow bot, facebook and other forms of signing in.

at any given time there are 30-50 signed in behind cover and just look around then leave.

I find myself forgetting about this place.

What a shame, at one time this was an awesome gathering place.

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:00 PM

I still come and check things out. I moved last year so didn't get to do any deer hunting. Finally got a new place to go but haven't seen any so far.
Posted Image

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:33 AM

Sites such as these often go into a slump when hunting season is not active.  I mean I can only show range targets so much, until it becomes almost senseless.  So I expect now with hunting just around the corner this all will come back to life.  Its a great forum.  And there are lots of experienced shooters here, with a ton of knowledge and the willingness to share what they know.  That makes this a great place to come, learn, interact, and just make new friends.  

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:20 PM

I already have a big buck down with my inline.  I used the Hornady 300 grain XTP Mags and will be going back to the regular 300 grain xtps.  I got the buck but did recover one bullet and was very disappointed in the expansion.  Guess I will shoot them at a target instead of a deer.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:20 AM

I like the XTPs VS the XTP mags.  Also I like the .430 in .44 caliber over the .451 in .45 caliber better.  They are just a shade longer and I think they shoot better.  But that's just my opinion.  Fall is coming fast.  Leaves are turning, and the garden dying off.

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:03 PM

Shhhhhhh! I'm hunting wabbits! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users