• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:31 PM

Since I finally got my biggest whitetail in Sept in Kansas I returned to PA where I got a fall turkey and then on Saturday I got a 6 point buck.  This is very special as I got it with a flintlock rifle at a time of the year when one just does not see bucks in daylight.  I have been hunting the late  flintlock season since the mid seventies and can honestly say I can count the number of bucks I have seen on one hand.  This buck is certainly not the big bragger buck but it is my first muzzleloader buck.  It has been a banner year/season.  My son Eric and I had a big problem after I got the deer.  The deer cart was back in the truck which was about 3/4 of a mile away and all the way up and over a steep ridge.  There was no snow  and it was already dusk so we decided to leave the deer, walk out, get supper, take off a bunch of clothes and return with the grandkids to help with the pulling.  By this time it was full dark but we had good flashlights.  We thought we could just walk right to the deer as we have been there many times before.  Wrong, we looked for about 20 minutes till we found the buck.  I did give the grandkids a deer anatomy lesson as I field dressed the deer.  It took us far longer to walk to a fairly nearby trail than it should have so we wasted another 20 minutes.  We stopped for a breather and I gave the grandkids a survival lesson showing them how to find the north star via the big dipper.  Our trip back up the ridge to the truck was brutal to say the least but we made it.  In all from the time we left the house till when we got back with the buck was about 4 hours.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

Way to go, Paul. Now, get out there and get that doe!

#3 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:12 AM

Congrats Paul!

Pictures?

Your eye in the northeast sky.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users