8 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:27 AM

I just pickedup 2 boxs of 150 grain winchester ammo for the 06 , i'll be heading to the farm next week while on vacation yes time off from work 31-8 of august for some R&R. and to sight my new toy in can't wait to pull off the first round and see how she reacts... :yes:

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:33 AM

Dennis since you have not fired anything down the tube yet have you given it a scrubbing? Who knows what sort of preservative may be lurking in there. If it were mine I would just use some NAPA brake cleaner and some dry patches and do that a couple of times then see what she looks like. There may not be anything in there but most likely there will be something.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:53 AM

Paul, thanks but yes i have sprayed some rem oil down the barrel and cleaned her i like that stuff .Brake cleaner does do wonders as well...Once at work i noticed several soldiers purchasing brake cleaner spray and i asked why the heck are you guys buying so much , their reply was just before we turn our weapons in to the weapon room we spray them down with brake cleaner to get the hard stuff off it makes cleaning so much easier lol..

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 02:39 PM

Paul, thanks but yes i have sprayed some rem oil down the barrel and cleaned her i like that stuff .Brake cleaner does do wonders as well...Once at work i noticed several soldiers purchasing brake cleaner spray and i asked why the heck are you guys buying so much , their reply was just before we turn our weapons in to the weapon room we spray them down with brake cleaner to get the hard stuff off it makes cleaning so much easier lol..

Yikes!!! Not Rem Oil!

Seriously, oil in a rifle bore is a major NO-NO. Shotguns Ok. Rifles very very bad.

I like Shooter's Choice to clean my bores. Boyd Heaton is very complimentary of Wipe Out. I trust his experience so I'll try it out.

I don't care what bore cleaner you use. If you don't run dry patches thru the bore till they come out clean you're asking for trouble. Any residue left in a bore will cause damage. How serious that damage is is dependent on how much residue and how often it's shot over.

150grn bullets are certainly adequate for deer but if that's a 30-06 you're shooting best accuracy starts at the 165grn and 180grn weights. I've never gotten any 30cal I've owned to group 150's worth a darn.

Don't worry about 180's being too much for deer. We're talking only 0.0043 lbs difference in weight. Yep, it's that small a difference. 1 grain is 1/7000th of a pound. It only makes the most difference in accuracy. This is because the heavier bullets are longer and have slightly more rifling engagement. Talking about 180s being overkill is ridiculous. So don't let anyone feed you that line, it's BULL.
Posted Image

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:05 PM

Yep Leo is right Rem oil is a preservative. I do use it in the barrel when I put a rifle or shotgun away but run a couple of patches through it before going to the range to clean it out. I too am a fan of Wipe out. It is a foaming bore cleaner that gets the job done very well. Just don't get any on the stock as it eats the finish off.

My bro in law shoots an 06 and found 165 gr bullets shoot very well for him.

My son in law's 300 win mag does a good job with 150 gr bullets but i'd bet if he went to a heavier bullet it would be even better.

#6 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:02 AM

Paul, Leo, i went to the farm yesterday evening and shot 3-4 inch groups at 100yds.Probably could have done better if the sweat and skitters wasn't so bad..so does this sound ok for the 150 grain 30-06 ..I know its in the kill zone but i'm going back when the weather cools to tighten it a bit more..I was shooting off a round bale of hay and i do know i flinched a time or three...

Edited by Dennis, 02 August 2006 - 06:03 AM.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:30 AM

Dennis 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yds is sort of ok but I am sure that rifle is capable of better than that. Hey these were your first attempts with a new rifle. Both my model 70 rifles shoot around an inch at 100 yds but that is after I have experimented with loads, powders, and various bullets. I have found that I get my best accuracy with the heavier bullets offered in whatever caliber. In my opinion the reason that factory rifles do best with with heavier bullets is the factory rate of twist is a fast twist which stabilizes the heavier bullets better. The trade off is more bullet weight equals more recoil.

How is the trigger pull. If it is heavy that has a big negative impact on accuracy. The triggers on my model 70s are at about 3 -4 pounds and no movement before they go off.

#8 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:58 AM

I did notice the trigger pull a bit tight ...and also noticed my pulling to the left a bit as i squeezed the trigger if that makes sence...

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:55 AM

Many if not all factory triggers are pretty stiff any more. A gunsmith can take care of that for you at not too much cost. I think everyone would agree that a good trigger pull i.e. 3 lbs on a hunting rifle is the best accuracy investment you can make. You are right when the trigger is too heavy the rifle is pulled off target in the process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users