New Grip for the ole bow

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:58 PM

Well all the hot and heavy mathews shooters are going with the new XT switchback. just a couple of years ago...I moved up from my Martin Jag to a Mathews LX. ( last year in production it turns out ) but a bow I've loved to shoot and gotten alot of use out of. Well I can't see going with a new bow just yet....maybe in a couple of more years...but I thought...its time to dress it up a tad. I ended up ordering a new grip for it.

torquless

here are the photos of the new wine wood grip.

did a bit of shooting tonight after putting it on...will do some more and see how I like it

WineWood Grip

it sure is purtty :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:01 AM

OOOOOOOH! UUUUUUUH! AAAAAAAH! Down right fancy color alright.

As you can guess I like it. But does it do as it says torque less? I read an article not too long ago about grips being one thing most pros change right away to eliminate the torque factor.

I want to take another long look at in about a month for my bow. Mine are slowly getting loose and making a slight creeking noise. Might be time to replace them.

Is it Sept. Yet?

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 27 July 2006 - 07:33 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:33 AM

Here is an article that I read prior to purchasing the new grip.

My big question was...do i shoot , low, med. or High wrist. Your going to spend 50 bucks on a grip which one is the correct one for you? I pulled out a bunch of photos my wife had taken of me shooting and I looked at the positioning of my hand prior to the shots...then checked out which came nearst according to this artical.

The Grip

Since I shoot open handed or just lightly with my fingers around the grip, the issue of actually torquing the bow is slight. I do like the thinner feel...and I went with the mini nose. the idea is the longer nose causes the bow to rest in your hand the exact same way every time. From experince with other bows I know that having the nose come to far out on my hand makes if ackward for me to shoot.

did I mention I think the new grip is purty?? LOL

ohh I went with the mid wrist, mini nose. winewood grip
cost was an even 50.00
ordered it last thursday, and it arrived Wen.

I'll do some shooting today and let ya know if I see any changes out beyond 30 yards
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#4 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:30 PM

Very nice looking grip.
Posted Image

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:26 PM

Nice looking grip. Why didn't you just carve one from one of those tree trophies you got.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:36 PM

:shifty: ya just never know :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:28 AM

I'll do some shooting today and let ya know if I see any changes out beyond 30 yards

Okay my curiosity is up - did you try it out? :huh:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:54 AM

The Mathews stock grip is 1- 11/4 wide at the throat (where the top of your hand would cradle the grip)
The Torquless is 3/4 of an inch

The Mathews stock grip flares out at the top, so you get side to side support, where the Torquless is flat (this is part of the difference in the concept of not torquing the bow)

The Matthews stock grip has a very short nose and it rounds out so gently, that there really isn't a set support point.

The torquless grip has 2 options on the nose, a mini (what I ordered) at 3/4 of an inch or a full nose at 1 inch.

This nose section comes out over the top of your hand.

At first it felt as if the bow was a pendulum in my hand, side to side. Since there isn't the flaired out top that rests against the top of your thumb and fingers, it feels like it wants to tip.

After 20 or 30 shots that feeling was gone.
The bow defiantly feels more anchored with the torquless grip.

I shot out to 50 yards and at 50 yards my groups were in a 3 inch circle. Usually arrows almost touching. I did have to make some micro adjustments on my site once I got out past 30. I found my arrows were hitting to the right of the X. At 50 yards it was about 3 inches right.

All in all I'm very happy with the new grip both in looks and in performance. It does take a little bit to get use to, and I would like to try the high wrist style to see how that feels.
But over all I'd give it a two thumbs up ??

Edited by McBruce, 28 July 2006 - 12:23 PM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:07 AM

Thanks Bruce for reporting what you did - I probably would consider doing the same to my Outback. But my problem is I try to many thing too often. :lol:

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: that's got me thinking and my interest though. Since I bought the Bowtech and can compare their grip ( sounds a little bit like the torque less ) to the Mathews and have gotten use to both I know what you're describing.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 28 July 2006 - 10:07 AM.

#10 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:29 PM

Ok Rowdy....here are some grouping photos.

4 arrow group at 30 yards. angle 1

Same Group diffrent angle 4 shots 30 yards

2-3shot groups at 40 yards. first group left 2nd group right.

2 - 3 shot groups @ 40 yards.

Edited by McBruce, 28 July 2006 - 12:37 PM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:36 PM

Okay then I think that shows you're ready to go bear huntin - Is It Sept. Yet! :rofl:

#12 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:40 PM

OHHHH I"MMMM SOOOOO READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

think I'm want'ng to do some fishing as well.

OHHH by the way... I ordered those DVD"s you said :)
AWESOME FOOTAGES
Pat is going to flip out watching them.

I couldn't believe the shot under the bear and stuck the tree. LOL
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#13 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:52 AM

Nice looking grip Bruce. That Dymondwood stuff looks pretty good.

Now that you've practiced out to 40yds with it. Did you notice any site changes were necessary? Up and down shouldn't change but I was thinking left or right might be effected.
Posted Image

#14 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:35 PM

yep leo.... side to side.. small amounts at 30 more at 40 and at 50 3 inches to the right of the target.

made the adjustments and am back to cutting X;s
most of the time :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#15 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:45 PM

Bruce,

You've got a drop away rest on that bow too, don't you. Lots of folks believe that drop aways make bows more forgiving on hand placement. More forgiving maybe but it still doesn't eliminate it as I am sure you can attest to now. ;)

Your bow grip is the other end of your anchor point. Your anchor needs to be consistent at both ends.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users